Frustration Flashing In My Eyes

November 28th, 2007 · 7 Comments

OH my!!! The last few days I’ve been trying to figure out how the hell to do a simple timed random image selection for 3 images in flash for a client and am so frustrated. I just figured out how to do it. The way I did it in ActionScript 2.0 is not the same as ActionScript 3.0. Guess which way I’ve been trying to do it? My eyes are now twitching with stress. Heart rate jumped. Knuckles cracking. Nostrils flaring. Teeth grinding. Belly swelling (that’s my own fault).

Now breathing. I’m not on a tight deadline and I will not be charging for those lost hours of hopeless researching. Onward into Flash CS3 I go.

UPDATE 11/30/07
I did ask a friend if he could send me a random image .fla file. In which he did, I forgot to thank him for his time. Alan, you are the man. I appreciate you sending me the file. It helped me look at the similarities that I was working with and that is when I figured out that ActionScript 3.0 wasn’t working with the same code. Changed the output to ActionScript 2.0 and it works well. I’m lucky to have friends in close proximity.

Tags: Profession · Sidework

• 1 Peter Crane // Nov 29, 2007 at 10:59 am

Wow sounds like you had yourself in a bit of a pickle with that one.

It tends to happen when a company upgrades software, new software is released or you change operating systems. You’re sitting there thinking ‘why the hell isn’t this working like it did v3.457361?!?!?’.

Being the computer nerds we all are, we find it necessary to assume we know everything about technology and that if we cannot find the solution it is the computer’s/software’s fault.

One suggestion, (sorry to break your cycle of ultimate knowledge, parties over, c’mon get the unconscious vommit covered girl off my sofa) try using the help menu every once in a while, and u might find yourself cruising through those tricky moments we all often encounter.

• 2 Andy Coon // Nov 29, 2007 at 11:36 am

Funny thing you suggested that. Because that is where I spent most of my time. The hardest part is the terminology to use in order for the Help menu to get you the correct info. Otherwise you will spend most of the time skimming through the gibberish. In which I did.

1 of these 2 things need to happen.

1) Get a great tutorial book on CS3 and study up

or

2) Stick to filmmaking

I’m going for #1 and knowledge, always a positive nugget of info.

• 3 Jared // Nov 29, 2007 at 3:36 pm

You forgot to mention my lack of help with your problem. I need some props yo.

• 4 Andy Coon // Nov 29, 2007 at 3:41 pm

Trust me this wasn’t me tooting my own horn. It was more of WTF am I doing this…

But without help from my comrades I could not have solved it… In particular Alan at http://techmazing.com/ and Master Chief @ http://www.juryriggin.com/

• 5 Peter Crane // Nov 30, 2007 at 3:26 am

Hahaha well i agree with what u said about reading giberish in the help menu. Some of the terminologies are shocking. Being an aussie I come across alot of banter exclusive to american jaw, and it can make things quite difficult.

and yes, buying tutorial books are an extreme help. Just can’t seem to find a tutorial book on ‘life’. I’ll be stuck on this one for some time i think.

• 6 Andy Coon // Nov 30, 2007 at 11:53 am

Yeah that whole ‘life’ thing is difficult to master. But I think most of us are in the same boat on that one. Unless you’re one of the “Lucky Sperm.” I overheard that said to a son of a business owner. That still cracks me up.

• 7 Peter Crane // Dec 1, 2007 at 10:27 am

hhaha this thread went from talking about flash to sperm.

thats a nice quote by the way, tell that to your grand kids one day.