How To Telecommute As A Final Cut Pro Video Editor

November 19th, 2007 · 8 Comments

First and foremost I’m about to break in tele-commuting with a client. But this is how I tele-commute. Please let me know if you have a different approach doing this.

1. Get a reliable external hard drive.
  2. Create folders in the hard drive for Audio, Video, Images, and FX.
  3. Get a UPS or a FEDEX account. Both are reliable, your preference or the client, depending on who is paying for the shipping.
  4. Send the hard drive to the client either FedEx or UPS. OVERNIGHT!
  5. Make sure they put all media files for the project in the correct folders.
  6. Ship the hard drive back.
  7. Do your magic.
  8. Register with ReviewBasics and upload your video to their site and email your clients the link to the video.
  9. Go over any comments and make necessary changes.
  10. Finalize the video and export video to client’s recommended file format.
  11. Ship off the hard drive with exported video and with return slip.

Who should pay for shipping? I suggest you either split the cost with your client or put the cost of shipping in with the total costs, via invoice. But before you do that make sure your client is aware of your shipping procedures. This maybe a bumpy road but I feel confident that technology has a way for me to be successful telecommuting from my home studio.

Tags: Filmmaker · Final Cut Pro · Ideas · Profession · Tips

• 1 jonndailey // Nov 20, 2007 at 2:16 am

Great tips.

• 2 lakeem // Nov 21, 2007 at 5:13 pm

Thank you for the tips. I am an aspiring editor and really enjoy the info on your blog.

• 3 cantina // Dec 5, 2007 at 3:29 am

Is this not possible via ftp?

• 4 Andy Coon // Dec 5, 2007 at 10:47 am

If our broadband providers would keep up with the rest of the world yes that would be a great way of transferring files. But at the moment the US high speed internet access is not a good way to transfer files. For instance I tried to up load my documentary DVD which was 3.7 GB of data and it took 32 hours to upload the entire DVD. But it actually failed to upload. If we all had access to blazing internet speeds like the UK and France it would be a different story. Not to mention downloading on the other end too.

If you live in a country with high speeds go for it. If you are based in the US, I recommend Hard Drive.

• 5 bryce hoover // Mar 25, 2008 at 11:16 am

Might I suggest using the Slingbox as a way for your clients to view your progress. I have a client who purchased his own Slingbox and we installed it so that at any time I need to show him something or need some feedback, all he has to do is open the slingplayer, and there it is. both ends need a high speed connection. I know that we have the business class roadrunner cable (7mb up/2mb down) and he uses a wireless sprint card with his laptop, and my client seems to be happy. I believe that the 5mb “normal” roadrunner would be enough. he only uses this for “progress checks” and NOT for critical viewing. It’s saved him and his client $$$$ in Fed-Ex/DVD dubs. It’s worked so well that we purchased one for general client use and have used it with an agency client (out of state). Of course you will need a way to output either composite, SVHS, or component from your FCP system to feed the Slingbox. Just a thought to mull over!

• 6 Andy Coon // Mar 26, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Bryce,

I love that idea I’m not there with my clients just yet. I need to score a great gig with a company that understands what a Slingbox is.

• 7 Michael // May 4, 2010 at 6:37 pm

How can we get telecommute jobs?

• 8 Missy H. // Jun 29, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Slingbox is the right way to go. I have been using it for over a year now. I highly recommend it to everyone out there. Buy it, try it, if you don’t like it, return it.