Leopard Acting Like A Bitch

November 8th, 2007 · 7 Comments

Is anyone else having issues with OSX 10.5 Leopard? I installed it a week ago and it keeps crashing applications. Some right away, others will wait till I’m knee deep in capturing or editing. I’m running it on a Dual G5 2.0Ghz loaded with RAM… I guess it is time to run a hardware test on my computer to make sure it is not my computer acting up.

Once I restart my G5 everything seems to work fine until another application crashes. I have no problem whatsoever on my Intel based laptop. Hmmm, interesting.

Anyone else having issues? Let me know.

Tags: Apple · Message

• 1 Ross // Nov 8, 2007 at 7:57 pm

No you’re not the only one. I’ve had Finder crash at least half a dozen times since I installed Leopard, and I don’t think it crashed half a dozen times in total while I was running Tiger (which has been over a year..).

CyberDuck seems to crash more frequently too. And I’ve had a couple of instances where the entire OS froze, my cursor would move that that’s the only input it would accept. Then after 5 minutes everything is back to normal.

The good news is that Apple tends to be so good about issuing updates and fixes, I don’t really expect these problems to be around too long. They’re already seeding 10.5.1 to testers and it has a bunch of fixes in it.

• 2 Jarod // Nov 8, 2007 at 8:46 pm

Those bastards. Those Baaaaassstards!!

• 3 luis // Nov 11, 2007 at 3:12 pm

I recently upgrade my final cut pro 5 to FCP 6 for some reason I canno’t capture now as it does the whole process and as it starts capturing the first clip the image pixalate and the upclication chrases. does anybody has the same problem?

• 4 Bill // Nov 12, 2007 at 11:36 pm

Ditto here. Same hardware- Dual 2.0GHz G5 with a clean install (no upgrade) of Leopard. Had tons of “spinning wheels of death” where the simplest tasks seemed to throw the OS into a tailspin.

The kiss of death for me was that Leopard broke Compressor 2.0 which comes with Final Cut Studio 1.0. No fix, lots of unhappy people unable to meet deadlines for their production schedules.

So finally I wiped Leopard and went back to Tiger, applied all the patches, like a brand new system again. Very responsive, good performance, and FCP and Compressor all “just work”.

If anyone wants to buy a slightly rejected copy of Leopard, drop me a line…

• 5 Lindsay // Dec 10, 2007 at 8:31 pm

Since installing Leopard, I can’t capture unless doing a batch capture. (Spinning colored wheel of death occurs, and then FCP crashes, and then there is a HUGE file on my HD. ) No I don’t have Virex or Norton runnung. Any ideas? And simple task such as setting chapter markers or moving a text generation around will also cause the spinning colored wheel of death. I had to run out at the last minute to buy the new iLife because Leopard wouldn’t run with my iDVD 5 (which of course the genius bar didn’t bother to tell me). ARG! Am so sick of this! I have been late on 2 projects now! I’m thinking of going back to my lovely Tiger.

• 6 Sebastian Mckenzie // Aug 28, 2008 at 1:29 am

OK
    so final cut pro 6 or studio 2 user.
    I have all the updates but it
    keeps crashing when I launch the
    dig tool!
    I’ve reinstalled everything including
    OSX Leopard, same issues.

Anyone?