Capture Now With HDV

September 20th, 2008 · 9 Comments

Not happening! Tomorrow I’m going to shoot the audience for the private screening for Dogs of Chinatown. Only problem is I can’t figure out how to capture directly to my computer with a firewire connection to my camera. I can do it with no problem if I use DV-NTSC and capture in SD. But I want my cake and to eat it too.

I have all the right settings to capture HDV.

When I try to capture straight from the camera to the computer this is what I get.

The computer is looking for timecode so I understand why its shutting down…I’m not capturing from tape. There is no option to capture with uncontrollable device. So I’m left with capturing the HDV footage to Quicktime Pro. Weird how I can capture it raw to Quicktime Pro and not Final Cut Pro.

If anyone has a quick fix for this please hook me up. Thanks.

Tags: Final Cut Pro · Help

• 1 GroovyBrent // Sep 21, 2008 at 12:42 pm

Once you set your Easy Setup to HDV 1080i60, did you go into your Audio Video settings and try to change Device Control Presets from Sony HDV Firewire to Non-Controllable Device?

• 2 Andy Coon // Sep 21, 2008 at 1:26 pm

This is what I get when I try to capture with non-controllable device.

Damn! It won’t allow me those options in Log and Capture either.

• 3 GroovyBrent // Sep 21, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Er… That’s… um… dumb. I suppose there is a logical technical reason why you can’t do that, but I can’t imagine what it would be.

OK… Plan B… Try switching your Capture Preset in Audio/Video Settings to HDV-Apple ProRes 422 and Device Control Preset to Non-Controllable Device.

In my case, with those settings, I don’t get the error message you show above, but it also won’t open my log and capture window (because I don’t have an HDV deck).

Of course, this means you’ll have to work in ProRes instead of HDV, but it might be a viable workaround!

• 4 Andy Coon // Sep 21, 2008 at 4:17 pm

Thanks for your help but unfortunately I do not have a HDV Deck either and it won’t work with my camera. No worries. I’ll figure a way out.

Thanks for all the help.

• 5 jay // Sep 24, 2008 at 5:34 am

What type/brand camera?

• 6 Andy Coon // Sep 24, 2008 at 7:19 am

Canon HV20

• 7 GroovyBrent // Sep 24, 2008 at 10:00 am

Just to be sure, did you actually try my “plan b” with your camera? Everything I see seems like it will work. The only thing I can’t test is the last step in the chain (Tha actual capture).

Good luck!

• 8 Andy Coon // Sep 24, 2008 at 6:23 pm

I’ve tried everything posted on here… no luck. When I try Plan B. It is looking for a video deck not my camera. Bastards!

Thanks for the suggestions.

• 9 Robbie Comeau // Nov 17, 2008 at 10:21 pm

I’n having a major problem with my SONY HDV Deck and FCP STUDIO 2.

It will recognize the deck, and then it won’t. Then it will, then it won’t.

Any one with help, please reply to rcomo@waterandoil-productions.com

Much help would be appreciated!

Thanks,