How Should I Shoot This

April 1st, 2009 · 7 Comments

I have a shoot Thursday morning at 10 with a client that needs a video in order to fulfill his posting on a popular listing service. In order for his info to be listed the video needs to be done. Here is the catch. He just moved to the area and doesn’t have any pictures or equipment or even clients on his behalf.

The business is a roofing company. No clients at the moment, no pictures from his previous clients in another state, no truck with the company’s name. The only thing I have is him and his word. I can’t move this shoot, not because I don’t want to. It is because that is what I am paid to do. Just him and his word about his experience and that is about all I have.

How am I going to shoot this? For starters, I have to interview him with questions. Each question I ask I will change the camera angle so I can edit between the questions. That is all I have right now. Please comment if you have ever come across something like this or if you can think of a unique way to edit together an engaging or interesting piece. Thanks.

Tags: Help

• 1 Marcus Hackler // Apr 1, 2009 at 10:48 pm

You could do the shoot outside and handheld with some quick jump zooms for interest… check this:

• 2 Andy Coon // Apr 1, 2009 at 10:58 pm

That’s a great idea…I failed to mention it needs to be shot on sticks. Rules and procedures.

But I like that style and I might break those rules.

Thanks for the idea.

• 3 Marcus Hackler // Apr 1, 2009 at 11:00 pm

You could still jump zoom on sticks…

• 4 Andy Coon // Apr 1, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Good point. My medicine head does not help me creatively, although it does wonders on my emotions.

• 5 Marcus Hackler // Apr 1, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Haha!

One more thought – you can shoot a steady cam feel (emphasis on ‘feel’) by putting the camera on a monopod or a folded tripod and walking the pushes and pulls instead of zooming and floating the camera on the shots by slightly moving your arms as you do your walk… it takes some practice but it’s smoother. Plus FCP could smooth out the bumps later.

• 6 damian // Apr 2, 2009 at 11:07 am

I love the ideas about shooting! Have him bring all his tools. And ask him why he moved to the area. and about his life and may be have him bring photos of his family. These are ways to hide the fact you have zero b roll of him working.

• 7 Andy Coon // Apr 2, 2009 at 3:51 pm

I had some great suggestions for this shoot. And it did not happen. I went to the client’s house and when I told him what I planned to do he hesitated, rightfully so, and asked what everyone else is doing.

After some suggestions about what to look for he decided to postpone the shoot until he gets his logo, signage on his truck, and doing some work at a house. I told him he can even stage it.

D- he had no tools or anything with him. He sold everything he owned before he moved to NC. Said it would be cheaper to sell and purchase rather than move.

So that ends my dilemma. But I was willing to shoot it without any b-roll and do my best. Thanks to everyone who responded. I had private emails from readers as well.