G5 has Died

December 4th, 2009 · 6 Comments

dead

The time… 7:15 PM on Thursday evening on December 3rd, 2009.

I can’t figure out what is wrong with it. The hard drive is healthy, checked all 8 Gigs of RAM, took out all the PCI cards, switched out the video card, used Tech Tool Deluxe and everything passes.

I have everything backed up and will have to use my laptop in the meantime.

Will have to wait and see what is next but the new Quad-Core iMac 27″ looks very interesting.

Tags: Apple · Personal

• 1 Phillip Gibb // Dec 4, 2009 at 3:51 am

oh dear,
    maybe it’s just the startup disk?
    I am waiting for mine to give up the ghost but then I am looking at a Mac Pro to replace it, hmmmm, will have to win a few competitions to be able to afford it.

Any reason why u are considering the iMac and not a mac pro?

• 2 Andy Coon // Dec 4, 2009 at 8:52 am

I wish it were the startup disk but that is not the case.

We purchased the intro line of iMac’s at my job as well as the Mac Pro 2.26 8 core. The baseline iMac does everything that I need it to do. Works great in FCP and Motion.

As much as I would like to buy the Mac Pro the quad-core iMac will be fast and plenty for me. I would spend too much on the Mac Pro, that I know and I can’t do that at this time.

• 3 Jeff Rigler // Dec 14, 2009 at 7:56 pm

My G5 died this August, bad power supply. So depressing. I was able to get a Mini-Mac -which runs pretty amazing right now.–Running FCP off of my other Mac.

Good luck and I hope you post your findings of the Quad core iMac 27″.

• 4 Mike Pannone // Jan 19, 2010 at 2:25 pm

My Dual 2.7 G5 displayed kernel panics on December 28th of 09. After unsuccessfully trying several processes to clear the problem I brought the machine to a genius bar and had a Level 1 diagnostic done. The genius reported back a bad cpu. Apple wanted $1350 to fix it. I found a Dual 2.7 on eBay and bought it to get back to work. That machine is working out well. Then I located a business that specializes in fixing Macs. If all works out with this company I’ll try to remember to report back here. The cost less shipping to and fro is 459 to change out the cpu assembly. My fingers are crossed. Wish me luck.

• 5 Andy Coon // Jan 20, 2010 at 12:25 am

Please post your findings. I took the computer to Apple’s Genius bar and they ran all their fancy tests and they couldn’t find anything wrong with it and gave it back to me and it failed within minutes.

I took it back and they thought they fixed it and I brought it back home and it failed again. I’m stubborn and will not throw it away until exhausted. Almost there.

• 6 Mike Pannone // Feb 27, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Andy, I’m reporting back about the repair to my G5. I will not recommend the shop I told you about in our private email. I will say, to anyone with a similar desire to get their G5 back in service: find a local Apple certified shop/technician. I had contracted with a non local entity. This I do not recommend. Also, to save costs and compete at lower prices, most cpu and logic board repairs are accomplished with refurbished parts. Therefore, repeat visits to get a reliable, stable repair may be needed. Also, any cpu or logic board repair will require an apple proprietary thermal calibration otherwise the fans will not run correctly. Only techs with access to this calibration software can employ this necessary step to complete the repair. Maybe trading in the faulty machine is an option or finding a used unit through a private seller. Anyway be aware these G5’s with liquid cooling systems are complex buggers, find a competent tech with a good customer service policy before submitting your G5 for repair.