Bringing Piper Home

July 26th, 2011 · 21 Comments

Today is the happiest day for all the right reasons. I found Piper…let me correct that Kisa, my dog sniffed her out and drew her out of the woods. Kisa is my hero. We were walking a grassy path when she just stopped dead in her tracks and looked into the dense wooded area to the left of us and in the shadows a tail wagged happily to see her buddy. I let Kisa go into the woods and Piper greeted her with doggie kisses across the face. I began to approach her and Piper began to inch away from me. I stopped and began to squat. She then came back to Kisa. I realized that Kisa would have to lead her back to the car.

I pulled Kisa out of the wooded area slowly and Piper followed, but was still skittish of me so I used a soft inviting voice like that of Herbert or Delilah. She responded but was still hesitant. So we began walking back to the car and Piper was following us. The car was about a 1000 feet away and my heart was racing. I didn’t want to jump on her in case I missed and freaked her out even more. But at the same time I didn’t want to loose her either. We picked up the pace and began to jog back to the car and she was right there with us. We approached the car, I opened the rear door and she backed up and ran back into the woods. Oh shit! went through my head. My adrenalin fell back down and I had to think what’s next. I grabbed an extra leash, some doggie treats and Kisa and I were back on the trail.

We went through all the brush and entered the woods again and no Piper. I realized that we didn’t scare her…it was the car. So I grabbed a chair and a bowl with water and we sat in front of the opening of the woods where she scurried off to. I poured the water, Kisa began drinking it up and within 15 seconds of us sitting down we both heard the tags rattling in the distance. I looked in the woods and there was no movement. Kisa turned around and Piper was behind us in the large field wagging her tail. I let Kisa go to her and I got down and slowly crawled to them and stuck out my hand. Piper came over and licked my hand and allowed me to grab her collar and I clicked the leash on her. My heart raced and an overwhelming feeling of joy came over me. I knew Piper was going to be home with her family.

We approached the car and she did not want to get in that car. She began pulling away and it looked like she was about to get out of her collar. I stopped pulling and sat down. Kisa plopped down, she was exhausted. Piper sat and we had some bonding to do before we could get in the car. After a few more licks and petting on the head and words of encouragement, I asked Piper if she was ready. Kisa knew exactly what those words mean and it seemed Piper did too. She got up walked over to the car and hopped in the back seat. Kisa followed. I jumped in the car and rolled up the windows and fired up the car and hit the air. I ran around the yard picking up all the supplies and jumped in the car and headed back to Greensboro.

That one hour drive back to Greensboro was…the best feeling in the world. The weight of the world was off my shoulders and my beautiful neighbors will have their family together again. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw the exhausted face of Kisa…that was the most beautiful face in the world at that moment. There is no possible way that I would’ve stumbled across Piper without her. Kisa is not the friendliest dog to most dogs but her and Piper have an amazing bond. A bond that was put back together almost three weeks after Piper went missing.

There were so many people that helped, shared enthusiasm, put up flyers, gave suggestions and kept Piper in their prayers. The family whose yard Piper was attracted to, I do believe a higher power kept her safe and to stay put. To all who exhausted themselves thank you so much and know that your help was instrumental in bringing Piper home.

Ready to go start my new job…if they will have me.

Tags: Personal

• 1 Elizabeth Connolly // Jul 26, 2011 at 4:50 pm

So awesome! I’m so glad he is back home!

• 2 Paul Weiss // Jul 26, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Congrats on finding Piper!!!

• 3 Tammy Graham // Jul 26, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Well done, Andy and Kisa. I haven’t met you yet, but the next time I’m at your neighbors’ place, I will buy you a beer or burrito or whatever you wish. Thanks for all your work and you determination to bring Piper home. I know K & B will be forever grateful.

• 4 LuAnn Beck // Jul 26, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I’ve been keeping up with your story and I’m so very happy to know you have Piper home. You guys have been in my prayers. This is one doggie story with a very happy ending. I’m so very happy for you all.

• 5 Gayle // Jul 26, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Andy

I appreciate your dedication to finding Piper. It shows the kind of neighbor, friend and person you are! I hope Kisa is getting lots of snuggles and cookies for her job well done.

I’m sure Piper is being lavished with love 🙂

• 6 Meredith Wright // Jul 26, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Well done Kisa and you too, of course! Finding her took a lot of dedication. I have cried both times I read your story. Wishing you, Kisa, Piper and her family many, many years of happiness.

• 7 Susan Browder // Jul 26, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Andy, I lost a friend’s dog once and was able to find her. I know how much it means to you that you were the one who was able to find Piper. If she had not been found it would have haunted you forever. I am so happy for you and your clever dog Kisa. You are a good friend.

• 8 marcus.sg // Jul 26, 2011 at 7:21 pm

All’s well that ends well 🙂

• 9 Tess // Jul 26, 2011 at 7:40 pm

what a wonderful ending 🙂

• 10 Rebecca // Jul 26, 2011 at 8:10 pm

If they won’t take you at this job, they weren’t the right people for you to work for. Baeden and Katie are lucky to have you for a friend, and those people at the job will be lucky to have you as an employee. This shows the type of person you are….steadfastness, dedication, heart and soul into things that matter. Good luck and I wish you well!

• 11 Katie Buckner // Jul 26, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Andy, Baeden, Piper, and I love you and Kisa. Thanks. Love. Relief.

• 12 Kate @ Kate As Of Late // Jul 26, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Beautiful!!! You and Kisa are angels! You did an amazing thing I know you have touched my heart forever!! So glad for a happy ending to this story!!

• 13 Andy Coon // Jul 26, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Katie, I’m so happy you and Baeden have your girl back home. May we all get a sweet sleep tonight knowing we are with our family.

• 14 Baeden Buckner // Jul 26, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Andy, thank you and Kisa so much. We love you guys! So happy our girl is back home!

• 15 mike cates // Jul 26, 2011 at 11:26 pm

only one word enjoy!

• 16 Daniel // Jul 27, 2011 at 3:32 am

great news…

• 17 christine parker // Jul 27, 2011 at 6:23 pm

We are absolutely happy to have you starting work with us on Monday. We have lots for you to do! 🙂

• 18 Andy Coon // Jul 28, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Looking forward to it.

• 19 Suzanne Suddarth // Aug 8, 2011 at 4:59 pm

What happened to Indra and you all those years ago brought me to tears. After reading both parts one and two of your story, I realize that your “good karma” has brought beautiful, Kisa into your life and this story had to have a happy ending. Your loyalty to Piper , Piper’s parents (Katie and her hubby) and Kisa is refreshing. Your dedication to bringing Piper home is so hearwarming! I know Katie is one happy camper!! Way to go Andy.

• 20 Rachel // Jul 6, 2012 at 10:06 am

You made me cry. I’m so glad everything worked out.

• 21 Andy Coon // Jul 6, 2012 at 10:44 am

Thanks, Rachel. I’m glad everything worked out too.